Monday, June 23, 2014

A first day for the ages

KYesterday was my first day in Morocco and I could not have imagined a better one. We woke up in the hotel and had a quick breakfast before going to AMIDEAST for some more lectures and to get settled in. We had yet another safety lecture and then it was time for lunch. We walked to a restaurant in Agdal for lunch and the food was awesome. I sat at the party table with Matt, Devyn, and our RD Sarah. That was my first experience with tagine and I thought that it was the best thing I have ever tasted, little did I know that my host mother was the best cook that has ever lived. Speaking of host families, I am pretty sure that Charlotte and I have hit the jackpot. We are in an all women household with two sisters and a mother, which means that when we are at home we can wear shorts and tank tops to remain comfortable in the heat. Our oldest sister, Naima, is 18 and an economics student at the local university Mohammed V. Immediately after picking us up from school she took us on an adventure around Oudaia, a very famous monument with a beautiful garden inside that is right on the beach. While exploring we ran into a group of young Moroccans playing traditional music with drums and tambourines. They happily brought us into their dance circle and welcomed us with open arms. Definitely the coolest experience I could have had on my first day! I cannot wait for some more adventures... Ma3a salaama!

No comments:

Post a Comment