Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Bucket showers, manual toilets, and feeling at home

In the cultural adjustment seminars that we have attended they told us that the first few days here will be part of our "honeymoon" phase and that afterwards not everything will feel as new and amazing as it once was. I know that they are the experts and everything but I cannot fathom a time when this will be any less beautiful. No matter where I look there is beauty and culture. Although I miss my family, I have no desire to go home because I feel as if I am at home. Everytime we see a member of the family we kiss, and today my host sister, Naima, told me that she loved me. I never thought that you could fall in love with a place, but I feel as if I have fallen completely head over heels for Rabat. The look, sounds and smells of my house (beytii) and the market (mediina) overwhelm me in the best way possible. Yesterday I woke up and took my first bucket shower and then was faced with the reality that no matter how hard I tried I would have to use the manual flush toilet sometime during my stay. To my surprise it was not a bad as I had thought, but it is inconvenient to have to wait for the bucket to fill up with water before being able to flush. I also found myself enjoying the bucket shower because unlike in my home in the drought-ridden state of California, I don't have to worry about wasting water when I take my time in the shower. Today I have my first classes, I hope that they go well!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen, my name is Claire and I'm also an American high school student studying abroad this summer! I happened to stumble upon your blog by accident, and I'm super excited for your journey--my stay in Finland has been amazing so far, and Morocco seems wonderful. I've also been keeping a blog about my adventures in Finland, which you can find at claireinsuomi.blogspot.com! (btw suomi means Finland in Finnish)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grew up with Bucket Baths. So much less water use. They rock!

    ReplyDelete